ClipShifter 2 is a free limiter and clipper VST, VST3, Audio Unit, RTAS, AAX plugin developed by LVC-Audio. Compatible OS(s): Windows 64b, macOS.
ClipShifter is a wave-shaping clipping-style limiter that provides enough user controls to be useful in all mixing stages. ClipShifter uses a unique threshold control to change the clipping threshold dynamically based on the transient characteristics of the incoming audio. The sonic characteristics of the clipping distortion can be altered from hard, brickwall-style clipping, to softer saturation with compression. Additional parameters allow the user to control the even- and odd-order components of the saturation.
ClipShifter is released as a free and paid plugin. The paid plugin adds oversampling (2, 4, and 8 times) with selectable double processing, mid/side processing, and a 3-way multiband frequency control. The multiband frequency control can be used to apply clipping to certain frequency bands independently, while the free version applies the audio clipping to the entire frequency spectrum.
- Clipping style limiter: from transparent sounding compression to hard clipping distortion.
- Initial and End thresholds controls that can dynamically change the clipping level based on the incoming signal.
- Controls for Clip Shape (hard to soft) and harmonics (even- and odd-order).
- Visual display of signals using VU-style, PPM-style, and loudness/RMS meters to monitor input and output levels.
- Scalable waveform history view with click-and-drag editing of clipping thresholds.
- Multiband EQ controls: 3-band EQ crossover, with independent processing of each band through the clipping algorithm.
- Oversamping: 2X, 4X, and 8X internal oversampling to reduce aliasing.
- Double processing: additional option to process audio an additional time through the clipping algorithm when oversampling is engaged.
- Mid/Side processing: Selectable control for processing Mid/Side signals independently.
System Requirements and Specifications:
- Windows: VST, VST3, RTAS, and AAX plugin formats. Limited-MAX requires Windows XP SP 3 or newer with a processor that supports SSE2 (AMD or Intel processor from around 2004 or later). An iLok device is required to use the AAX format.
- OS X: AU, VST, VST3, RTAS, and AAX plugin formats. Limited-MAX requires OS X 10.5 or later, and an Intel processor. An iLok device is required to use the AAX format.
ClipShifter can be purchased for $24.95 USD. For more information or to download the free/demo version, visit LVC-Audio.